OUR RESIDENCY PROGRAM
Conroe Family Medicine Residency Program is an unopposed, community-based residency with a long history of preparing highly trained physicians who practice in a variety of settings. We are proud to call Lone Star Family Health Center home, and we are one of the original 11 Teaching Health Centers in Graduate Medical Education. 10 new resident physicians join our program each July. Our resident physicians receive full-spectrum “hands-on” training in a congenial and collegial environment and learn to deliver cost-effective treatment while integrating the most advanced concepts in the medical field.
We are proud to offer two unique training tracks in our residency program.
Our “Medically Underserved” track recognizes the need for competent physicians who are able to offer comprehensive, compassionate and culturally sensitive care to the diverse and growing population of patients in underserved settings and the context of health and healthcare delivery in these communities.
Our “Obstetrical” track participants will gain advanced experience in low and high-risk management of obstetrical patients and increased competence in operative obstetrical procedures.
The Conroe Family Medicine Residency Program was originally founded in 1979 as the “Montgomery County Medical Education Foundation” by a team of physicians who set out to establish a Family Medicine residency program in the local area. Our first three residents graduated in June 1985.
We partnered with the University of Texas Health Science Center from 1983-1994, and with the University of Texas Medical Branch from 1994-2000. Today, our residency program is sponsored by Conroe Medical Education Foundation and is fully accredited with commendation by the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education.
The commitment of our faculty and resident physicians combined with our high quality training resulted in our graduates achieving a 100% pass rate on Board Certification Examination offered by the American Board of Family Medicine.
AN INSPIRATIONAL OUTLOOK
The Conroe Family Medicine Residency Program is excited about the future in our mission to produce the best and most experienced family physicians. We are pleased to have support from HCA Houston Healthcare – Conroe, Conroe Medical Education Foundation, and Lone Star Family Health Center, as well as from our local community. This independent sponsorship enables greater operational control, both educationally and financially, and ultimately allows us to continue to grow and evolve the program – ensuring our residents obtain top tier & competitive training. As a Teaching Health Center in Graduate Medical Education aligned with a Federally Qualified Health Center, we offer a wide range of additional services which are integrated into our residency training.
Our Unique Program Delivers
- Broad Spectrum Training
- Knowledge & skills to provide holistic & compassionate care for individuals and families – prenatal to death
- Education for competency in all settings inpatient, outpatient, nursing home, LTAC, as well as from rural to urban underserved
- Cultural competence is valued and demonstrated by providing exceptional care to all patients and families
- Optimal utilization of resources delivering the most cost-efficient care for all patients and sensitivity in understanding how cost can influence care choices
- Compassion & Professionalism
- Fostering a culture of empathy, compassion, and respectful care for patients, colleagues, the healthcare system, and one’s self
- Instilling commitment for life-long learning to continually develop knowledge, skillset, recognition of limits, self-reflection, and continuous improvement
- Demonstrating honesty, trustworthiness, accountability, and patient ownership
- Promoting a non-punitive environment for open and constructive feedback to improve performance, patient safety and quality of care
- Recognizing the professional responsibility to value well-being through self-care, support, resilience, and recognition of limits
- Leading Healthcare & Making a Difference
- Fostering scholarship, understanding and application of current medical knowledge and innovative solutions to address community needs and social determinants of health
- Educating patients, policy makers, and the community
- Advocating for family medicine and its role in primary and preventative care
- Ensuring strong representation in professional organizations and leadership in interdisciplinary care teams to provide community-centered care